Glendale man killed during argument over extra-marital affair

Woman left husband dead in vehicle for nearly 3 days


A woman is accused of killing her husband during an argument over an extra-marital affair.

Shatay Syreeta Johnson, 39, faces second-degree murder and concealment charges in the shooting death of Timothy Johnson, 55.

On Thursday, Feb. 13, Shatay Johnson showed up at a Phoenix police precinct and allegedly admitted to shooting and killing her husband outside their home, claiming self-defense. Glendale police responded to the home near 59th Avenue and Thunderbird Road and found Mr. Johnson dead inside a vehicle. He appeared to have been shot once and it was determined he had been left inside for multiple days.

On Monday, Feb. 10, Glendale police said they had responded to Ms. Johnson’s home after neighbors reported a female driving erratically up the street and throwing items from her vehicle.

Arriving officers spoke with Shatay Johnson, who was outside of the home. She told the officers she was “fine,” and her husband had already “left.” She said no one else was inside the home and that she did not any help.

When Ms. Johnson reported her husband’s death Thursday, she was accompanied by a man with whom she is engaged, records state. However, the man told police he did not know Ms. Johnson was already married.

Glendale police took Ms. Johnson into custody and interviewed her. She allegedly revealed to detectives that she shot her husband during an argument on Monday.

Court documents indicate she believed Mr. Johnson was in an extra-marital relationship. Mr. Johnson reportedly admitted to paying a prostitute for sex. The couple argued in the evening, during which Ms. Johnson tried to leave in her husband’s vehicle.

However, Ms. Johnson claimed her husband wouldn’t let her leave and entered the vehicle to try and take the keys away. At some point Ms. Johnson allegedly shot her husband in the face.

Ms. Johnson allegedly used the vehicle to hide her husband’s body from the neighbors and then remained inside her home for four days before going to the police.

She was jailed in lieu of a $500,000 cash-only bond with court dates Feb. 21 and 24.