With the holiday shopping season starting, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office District 6 - Queen Creek is warning residents to be alert when they “Shop QC."
The offer the following tips for heading out for post-Thanksgiving trips to local stores.
- Bring only the cash and credit cards you need. Keep cash separate from ID and credit cards.
- Be alert, Your purse or wallet may be a target in crowded shopping areas. Be wary of those creating distractions.
- Limit the use of cell phones and other devices when in public areas — your awareness level is compromised.
- Use ATMs located in well-lit areas and only withdraw the amount of cash you need.
- Protect your PIN by shielding the ATM keypad and do not throw your ATM receipt away.
- Always lock your car and store items out of sight. Don’t leave valuables in your car.
- If shopping at night, park in well-lit areas. Always be aware of your surroundings.
- When shopping online, only conduct business with companies you know and only shop at secure websites.
- Check your credit card and bank statements regularly for fraudulent use; report any fraudulent charges to your bank, the credit bureaus and law enforcement.
MCSO also encourages motorists to slow down, avoid distractions and use common courtesy when driving.
Small Business Saturday is Nov. 27, so when residents shop and dine in Queen Creek, they support local jobs, entrepreneurs, the economy and community programs.