According to the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.
According to a press release, the Queen Creek Fire & Medical Department offers the following cooking safety tips to help reduce the risk of fire this Thanksgiving:
Test your smoke detectors by pressing and holding the test button. It can take a few seconds to begin but you should be able to hear a loud siren coming from the smoke detector when the button is pressed.
If the sound is weak or non-existent, replace your batteries. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years.
The town of Queen Creek offers a free recycling program for cooking oil.
Cooking oil should never be dumped down a drain or disposed of in the trash, garbage containers, dumpsters or down the public sewage system.
Cooking oil poured down the drain negatively affects water quality and can cost thousands of dollars in sewer repairs from pipe blockages.
Placing oil in your trash or recycling carts leads to contamination and spillage. It also has the potential to cause cart fires or fires in the collection vehicles.
Residents can recycle used cooking oil at no charge at the Town’s year-round grease collection sites, Fire Station 2 located at 24787 S. Sossaman Road and at the QC Recycle Center located at 22638 S. Ellsworth Road.
For additional safety information, visit QueenCreekAZ.gov/SafetyTips.