The city of Surprise Human Service and Community Vitality Department and the MLK Advisory Committee plan to honor the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the seventh annual MLK Day of Celebration and Service Saturday, Jan. 14 at the Vista Center for the Arts.
I am anchor
Surprise prepares annual MLK Jr. celebration
Program also features service, music, food trucks
CITY OF SURPRISE
The city of Surprise Human Service and Community Vitality Department and the MLK Advisory Committee plan to honor the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the seventh annual MLK Day of Celebration and Service Saturday, Jan. 14 at the Vista Center for the Arts, 15660 N. Parkview Place.
The event is emceed by Susan Casper, Sonoran Living Host on ABC15 and founding member of the National Coalition of 100 Black Women Phoenix Metropolitan Chapter and member of the National Association of Black Journalists.
It will include performances by local musicians, choirs, Ottawa University-Arizona and faith-based organizations; service projects; art contest winner recognition; fun for the family; and a keynote address by Dr. Eric Williams, Curator of Religion for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.
The event lasts from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and includes:
• The day of service from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Sign up is required for the volunteer portion, and includes projects are for all ages.
Volunteers will complete various service projects including Pasta-bilities, hygiene kit and backpack drive assembly and more.
The projects will be organized with the intent of fostering community pride in the spirit of unity, as exemplified by the late civil rights leader.
Food provided free to the first 500 attendees following the service projects.
• 10 to 10:45 a.m. is music, performances and food trucks. Food is available for purchase from food trucks like Sandwich Street, Grill King, Kona Ice and Lolos & Papis.
• The main MLK program is 11 a.m. to noon.
• More music and food trucks conclude the event from 12:15 to 2 p.m.
How to volunteer:
• Individuals/Families — Arrive at 8:30 a.m. to receive an assignment. Advanced registration is required. Contact Larry Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-222-1522.
• Groups — Those who plan on bringing a group/club/congregation and would like to participate in the service projects, are asked to RSVP under a group name and estimated number of people to email@example.com.
This event is possible thanks to platinum level sponsors, APS and BCBS Arizona — Health Choice. Event details are available online at surpriseaz.gov/MLK.
For sponsorship and performance opportunities or general event information, contact Lord Garcillano at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 623-222-1647.