Phoenix Sky Harbor is expecting to see an increase in passengers this Memorial Day weekend, nearly back to pre-pandemic levels, and airport officials are offering some advice to make travel safer and easier.
Though masks are no longer mandated for travel, the CDC recommends mask-wearing while traveling. Phoenix Sky Harbor will have face coverings and other PPE items available for purchase at airport shops and PPE vending machines, according to an airport release. Hand-sanitizing stations remain available.
Here are a few tips from Sky Harbor:
- Pack a face covering and other personal protective equipment such as hand sanitizer. The federal mask mandate has been lifted; however, the CDC continues to recommend that people wear masks while flying to ensure the safety and well-being of the traveling public and to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Some airlines may still require travelers to wear a mask. Check with airlines for specific requirements.
- Check your destination's entry requirements if traveling internationally. Some destinations may require a negative COVID-19 test for entry. COVID-19 testing is offered pre-security in Terminal 4 at Treat. The U.S. also requires a negative test when returning on an international flight.
- Reserve parking.
- Double-check what's in bags. Review the TSA prohibited items list the night before a flight.
- Check the flight status with the airline before coming to the airport to catch a flight or to pick-up/drop-off family and friends. Flight status can be checked on the airline's website or at skyharbor.com.
- Allow extra time. Arrive early and check security wait times online. Domestic travelers should arrive two hours before flights and three hours if traveling internationally. Travelers can also check current TSA security checkpoint wait times at skyharbor. com and on the flight information screens in the airport once they arrive.
- Reduce time in the security checkpoint line. The airport's PHX RESERVE program allows travelers to save their space and reduce the wait. Make a reservation up to three days before departure and receive a time to enter a designated checkpoint lane to begin the standard security process. This program is open to travelers of any airline, though if you have TSA PreCheck, it's recommended use it.
- Reserve rental cars. It's advisable to reserve rental cars as vehicles may be limited for walk-up customers.