The Knights of Columbus councils are remarkably busy in providing monetary and voluntary man-hour assistance to those in need.
The Knights of Columbus is a very worthwhile organization. If you need help or wish to become involved, contact your local Catholic Church for information regarding their specific council.
The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic, fraternal men’s organization with more than two million members worldwide. Knights of Columbus is involved in a wide variety of programs that are charity- and community-related as well as worldwide religious freedom programs. Knights of Columbus also offers insurance for its members on a completely volunteer basis.
In addition to the health benefits, volunteering gives people a sense of purpose. The fulfilling feeling of giving back and contributing to society is unparalleled. Giving back is also a great way to get to know your community and its citizens. When you volunteer, you have the opportunity to meet many new people and they often become your friends.
Specifically, Knights of Columbus Council No. 7243, based at St. George Roman Catholic Church in Apache Junction, is involved in the following programs:
- Funds raised from a ticket drawing are donated to various charity organizations across the state.
- The Knights support and volunteer in St. George’s annual golf tournament. Proceeds from the tournament are then donated to the students’ scholarship fund.
- Provide food and monetary donations to St. George’s Help for the Needy Program.
- Provide donations for the priests and seminarian’s vocation support.
- Funds raised from the annual car show are donated to the Apache Junction Boys and Girls Club.
- Donate to the poster program to honor students at the church’s schools.
- Donate for the rosary celebration for pro life.
- Donate to GCU Newman for the church’s student retreats.
- Assist in the chalice program for deceased Knights’ memoriam
- Ultrasound initiative donations with nationwide goal of 1,000 pregnancy ultrasounds.
- Donate to support the Operation Restoring Veteran Hope for our veterans.
- Donate to the military chaplain program.
- Provide the required safe environment training for all Knights involved with youth programs.
- Donate to St. Joseph’s Youth Camp for our youth summer camp. The camp was also used for veteran PTSD retreats while the youth camp was unable to operate due to COVID-19.
Knights of Columbus programs that are provided by our state- and national-level councils:
- Biannual pro-life march and rally.
- Catholic men’s conference.
- State and national free throw contest for youths 8-18 years old.
- State and national soccer challenge.
- Coats for Kids program.
- Keep Christ in Christmas program — Christmas card sales.
- Fundraising for People with Intellectual Disabilities and the Special Olympics.
- Participate in the “Get out the Vote” initiative.
- Participate in all patriotic holiday celebrations.
- Disaster relief: Over the years, Knights of Columbus has donated $2.7 million for fire, flood and hurricane victims.
- Provide Native American support
- Provide border refugee support
- Over the years, Knights of Columbus has donated approximately $25 million for religious liberty, both domestically and worldwide, especially in the Middle East.
- In the U.S., the Knights of Columbus has donated approximately $185,7 million and provided approximately 76.7 million voluntary man hours.
- In Canada, the Knights of Columbus has donated approximately $19 million and provided approximately 5.7 million voluntary man hours.
Editor’s note: Steve Ezyk is a member of the Knights of Columbus Council No. 7243, based at St. George Roman Catholic Church in Apache Junction. Go to stgeorgeaj.com/ministries-knights_of_columbus.