August is Drowning Impact Awareness Month in Arizona.
Throughout the month, the city of Peoria, in partnership with the Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona, is spreading awareness to help avert future water related incidents. Drowning is one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in children.
Keep your family safe by following these tips:
· Always designate an adult to supervise the water
· Use life vests, not floaties, for inexperienced swimmers
· Have fencing around pools and spas with a self-latching and self-closing gates
· Get swimming lessons for children
· Adults and teens should learn CPR
To help spread awareness, Peoria City Hall will be lit purple Aug. 22-28.
Residents are encouraged to show their support by wearing purple on Tuesday, Aug. 23.
For more information, visit www.preventdrownings.org.