NFL: Chargers-Broncos game still on despite COVID-19 cases

Posted 10/30/20

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — The NFL said Friday that the Los Angeles Chargers' game at Denver this weekend isn't in jeopardy after players on both teams tested positive for the novel …

To Our Valued Readers –

Visitors to our website will be limited to five stories per month unless they opt to subscribe.

For $5.99, less than 20 cents a day, subscribers will receive unlimited access to the website, including access to our Daily Independent e-edition, which features Arizona-specific journalism and items you can’t find in our community print products, such as weather reports, comics, crossword puzzles, advice columns and so much more six days a week.

Our commitment to balanced, fair reporting and local coverage provides insight and perspective not found anywhere else.

Your financial commitment will help to preserve the kind of honest journalism produced by our reporters and editors. We trust you agree that independent journalism is an essential component of our democracy. Please click here to subscribe.

Sincerely,
Charlene Bisson, Publisher, Independent Newsmedia

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor

NFL: Chargers-Broncos game still on despite COVID-19 cases

Posted

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — The NFL said Friday that the Los Angeles Chargers' game at Denver this weekend isn't in jeopardy after players on both teams tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

“No, it is not. There’s no change to the status of the game,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told The Associated Press. “There have been 70-plus instances of a team having a player or players who test positive. The player is isolated and we conduct contact tracing to ensure to mitigate any risk of potential spread among the team.”

The game is scheduled for 4:05 p.m. ET Sunday.

The Broncos Friday after learning a player on their roster tested positive for COVID-19.

The team said the player, whom the NFL Network identified as right guard Graham Glasgow, was at home in self-isolation as were two players who were determined to have been in close contact.

The Broncos (2-4) said they were conducting virtual meetings Friday in preparation for their game against the Chargers (2-4).

The this week. They placed guard Ryan Groy on the league’s COVID-19 reserve list Thursday and canceled practice.

The Broncos, who are scheduled to return to practice Saturday, were already in the league’s intensive coronavirus protocols, which began when running backs coach Curtis Modkins contracted the virus two weeks ago.

Modkins returned to work Monday but offensive line coach Mike Munchak has been absent since Wednesday for COVID-19 reasons. The team hasn’t said if Munchak or somebody close to him has the virus.

Earlier this month, the Broncos were affected by an outbreak in New England, and their game against the Patriots was delayed a week when several Patriots, including Cam Newton and Stephon Gilmore, contracted the coronavirus.

That essentially wiped out Denver’s bye week and forced the league to reschedule several games, including this weekend's game in Denver which was originally slated for Nov. 22.

___

Follow Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton

___

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Comments