Eight Mesa Community College students recently received honors in Artists of Promise, a competition hosted by the Maricopa County Community College District to highlight student accomplishments in dance, creative writing, visual arts, music, fashion, theatre and film.
MCC honorees are listed below by category and are featured on a celebratory MCCCD website, mcccd-aop.myportfolio.com/work, according to a release.
A total of 86 artists from each of the 10 colleges within the district participated in this year’s competitions. Among the nine MCC students recognized, four placed first in their category.
- Fiction: First place, Mesa resident Valerie Neal for “Jivan Yatra, who moves forward to compete at the national level in the League of Innovation in the Community Colleges Creative Writing Competition; and second place, Tempe resident Aelin Mayer for “Get to Work.”
- Poetry: Second place, Mesa resident Jacqueline Gentry for “Corruption.”
Creative writing awardees will be published in the MCCCD literary magazine, Passages, later this spring.
- Cosplay: First place, Phoenix resident Lorraine Rossi for “Byzantine Noble Woman”; and second place, Mesa resident Helena Balderrama Sauceda for “Flower.”
- Original design: First place, Gilbert resident Thao Vo for “Check The Summer.”
- Composition: Third place, Tempe resident Patrick De Noia.
- Instrumental — other: First place, Mesa resident Ashley Tenney “Chaminade Concertino in D major.”