Queen Creek offers heating safety tips

Posted 11/16/22

As residents start to turn the heat on in their homes, the Queen Creek Fire & Medical Department wants to highlight the importance of staying safe. According to the National Fire Protection …

This story requires a subscription for $6.99/month.

Already have an account? Log in to continue.

Current print subscribers can create a free account by clicking here.

Otherwise, click here to subscribe.

To Our Valued Readers –

Visitors to our website will be limited to five stories per month unless they opt to subscribe. The five stories do not include our exclusive content written by our journalists.

For $6.99, less than 20 cents a day, digital subscribers will receive unlimited access to, including exclusive content from our newsroom and access to our Daily Independent e-edition.

Our commitment to balanced, fair reporting and local coverage provides insight and perspective not found anywhere else.

Your financial commitment will help to preserve the kind of honest journalism produced by our reporters and editors. We trust you agree that independent journalism is an essential component of our democracy. Please click here to subscribe.

Charlene Bisson, Publisher, Independent Newsmedia

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor

Queen Creek offers heating safety tips


As residents start to turn the heat on in their homes, the Queen Creek Fire & Medical Department wants to highlight the importance of staying safe. According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating fires are the second leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.

The town, through a press release, offers a few simple tips and precautions for residents.

One of the most dangerous things you can do is put a space heater too close to things that can burn (such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattresses or bedding).

  • Never use a space heater overnight in the room where you are sleeping
  • Place heaters at least 3 feet away from flammable objects
  • Keep a properly maintained smoke detector on all levels of your home and close to sleeping areas
  • Never leave a space heater unattended
  • Check for fraying or splitting wires, or overheating. Have problems repaired by a professional before operating the space heater.

Gas heating equipment can also be dangerous if it is not installed or used properly. These products are associated with both fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.

All new un-vented, gas-fired space heaters are equipped with an oxygen depletion sensor or ODS. An ODS detects a reduced level of oxygen in the area where the heater is operating and shuts off the heater before a hazardous level of carbon monoxide accumulates. These heaters also have labels that warn users about the hazards of carbon monoxide.

If you have an older un-vented gas-fired space heater that does not have an ODS, consider replacing it with a new, ODS-equipped model.

If the pilot light of your heater should go out, remember these tips:

  • Allow five minutes or more for the gas to go away before trying again.
  • Do not allow gas to accumulate.
  • Light the match before you turn on the gas to the pilot. This avoids the risk of a flashback, which could occur if you allow gas to accumulate before you are ready to light the pilot.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to light the appliance. Turn off all controls and open a window or door. Leave the area, and then call a gas service person. 

Often called the ‘invisible killer,” about 230 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning related to fuel burning household appliances such as furnaces, space heaters, water heaters, clothes dryers, kitchen ranges, wood stoves and fireplaces, the release stated.

When inhaled, carbon monoxide, a tasteless, odorless gas, is easily absorbed into the blood. The gas is lethal when it replaces the amount of oxygen needed to sustain heart and brain function. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headaches, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath and nausea are often dismissed as flu-like symptoms – even by doctors.

The National Fire Protection Association recommends installing a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area and interconnecting those alarms, so when one sounds, they all sound.

For more tips and information go to