The holiday season is here, and many families are putting up lights and decorating their homes.
So the Peoria Fire-Medical Department and National Fire Protection Association have these helpful tips to reduce fire risks this holiday season.
• Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
• Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2 inches from the base of the trunk.
• Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
• Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
• Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
• Use lights listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
• Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
• Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
• Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.