As Labor Day approaches and many families spend time around water, Aqua-Tots swim schools is calling for water safety awareness to prevent drowning incidents, the leading cause of death for children under the age of four, according to the CDC.
It is also the second leading cause for children five to 14.
Did you know that 69% of children younger than five were not expected to be at or in the pool at the time of a drowning incident? These tragic accidents can happen in a matter of seconds, even with adults close by.
As families prepare to celebrate Labor Day, it is crucial that they do so safely. Here are some tips to keep children safer.
• Assign a water watcher to ensure there is adult supervision at all times when young children have access to water.
• Stay within an arm's reach of young swimmers.
• Keep a phone nearby for emergencies.
• Ensure pool gates are locked and toys are put away after swimming.
• Use U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests on open water.