Numerous state projects on Valley roads this weekend will require drivers to take detours and take care navigating in and around work areas, state transportation officials said.
The following projects will be underway between Friday night, Sept. 30, and Monday morning, Oct. 3:
- Westbound I-10 will be closed between Loop 202 and US 60 from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Saturday for the I-10 Broadway Curve improvement project. All Loop 202 ramps to westbound I-10 near Chandler will be closed. The westbound I-10 on-ramp at Wild Horse Pass Boulevard will be closed as will the eastbound US 60 on-ramp at Priest Drive.
Arizona Department of Transportation officials said drivers should expect delays and suggested detours. Westbound I-10 traffic can detour on eastbound Loop 202 to northbound Loop 101 and use either westbound US 60 or westbound Loop 202 to reach I-10 (and Sky Harbor Airport) beyond the closure. Westbound I-10 drivers approaching the closure also can consider using westbound/northbound Loop 202 to reach I-10 in west Phoenix.
Also, the southbound SR 143 ramp to eastbound I-10 will be closed. Consider using the eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Broadway Road. Note: Westbound I-10 also narrowed to two lanes between Elliot and Baseline roads from 10 p.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Monday for bridge work. The westbound I-10 on-ramp at Broadway Road will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday.
- Eastbound I-10 will be narrowed to two lanes between Baseline and Warner roads from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Saturday for bridge work. Note: Northbound 40th Street will be closed between Broadway Road and I-10 and Guadalupe Road will be closed in both directions over I-10 from 10 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday.
- Eastbound I-10 will be closed between US 60 and Loop 202 from 10 p.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Monday for paving and bridge work. The westbound US 60 ramp to eastbound I-10 will be closed, and the eastbound I-10 on-ramps at 40th Street and Broadway Road also will be closed. The eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Chandler Boulevard will remain open. Eastbound US 60 off- and on-ramps at Mill Avenue will be closed as will both HOV lane ramps at the I-10/US 60 interchange. An alternate freeway route to avoid the closure is eastbound Loop 202 to southbound Loop 101 and westbound Loop 202 in the Chandler area. Drivers also can use I-10 in the West Valley to southbound Loop 202 to reach I-10 beyond the closure, according to ADOT. Eastbound I-10 drivers approaching the closure at US 60 can detour on eastbound US 60, southbound Loop 101 and westbound Loop 202.
- Southbound I-17 will be closed between Loop 101 and Cactus Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday for a pavement improvement project. Southbound I-17 on-ramps at Pinnacle Peak and Deer Valley roads will be closed. Southbound I-17 ramps to Loop 101 will remain open but ADOT officials said drivers can expect delays. Detour: Consider exiting ahead of the closure and using detours to reach southbound SR 51 as an alternate route to the downtown Phoenix/Sky Harbor Airport region. Southbound I-17 traffic exiting at Deer Valley Road can detour on southbound 19th or 35th avenues. Note: I-17 also will be narrowed to two lanes in both directions between Cactus Road and Dunlap Avenue from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday for work on the Valley Metro light rail bridge project.
- Northbound Loop 101 will be closed between Grand and 75th avenues from 9 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Saturday for pavement sealing. Detour: Consider exiting ahead of the closure and using local routes including northbound 75th or 67th avenues to reach Loop 101 beyond the closure. Note: Crews plan to reopen Loop 101 in sections as soon as possible as the work progresses.
- Southbound Loop 101 will be closed between 75th Avenue and Thunderbird Road from 9 p.m. Saturday to 7 p.m. Sunday for pavement sealing. Detour: Drivers can exit to southbound 67th or 75th avenues and use westbound Thunderbird Road to enter southbound Loop 101 beyond closure. Note: Crews plan to reopen Loop 101 in sections as soon as possible as the work progresses.
- Eastbound US 60 on-ramp at McClintock Drive will be closed until 5 a.m. Monday for maintenance. Detour: Alternate eastbound US 60 on-ramps are at Rural or Dobson roads. Note: Closures of the eastbound US 60 ramp to southbound Loop 101 and the eastbound US 60 off-ramp at McClintock Drive are scheduled from 9 p.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 30, for city of Tempe water line repair project. Detours include southbound Rural or Dobson roads.
- Eastbound I-10 will be narrowed to one lane between Watson Road and Verrado Way in Buckeye from 4 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday for a freeway widening project.