Suspect sustains life-threatening injuries after Glendale stand-off

Posted 5/3/21

A suspect was shot in Glendale during an early-morning stand-off with police.

To Our Valued Readers –

Visitors to our website will be limited to five stories per month unless they opt to subscribe.

For $5.99, less than 20 cents a day, subscribers will receive unlimited access to the website, including access to our Daily Independent e-edition, which features Arizona-specific journalism and items you can’t find in our community print products, such as weather reports, comics, crossword puzzles, advice columns and so much more six days a week.

Our commitment to balanced, fair reporting and local coverage provides insight and perspective not found anywhere else.

Your financial commitment will help to preserve the kind of honest journalism produced by our reporters and editors. We trust you agree that independent journalism is an essential component of our democracy. Please click here to subscribe.

Charlene Bisson, Publisher, Independent Newsmedia

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor

Suspect sustains life-threatening injuries after Glendale stand-off


A suspect was shot in Glendale during an early-morning stand-off with police.

The adult male was transferred to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries.

The incident began just before 8 a.m. Monday, May 3 when patrol officers were called to the area of 59th Avenue and Northern for a residential burglary alarm call for service, the Glendale Police Department reported.

The alarm company notified the homeowner, who called a family member to respond. The family member arrived prior to police and saw an unknown adult male suspect inside the residence, police say.

Officers arrived on scene and located the suspect within the garage area. He allegedly told police they were going to have to shoot him, according to investigators. SWAT was activated and responded for the barricaded suspect.

The team cleared the residence and encountered the suspect in the garage. At this time, he had allegedly barricaded himself with a refrigerator and was inside of a vehicle in the garage, according to police, as SWAT attempted negotiations for a peaceful surrender.

Just after 10 a.m., the team approached the vehicle. The suspect allegedly jumped out with hand tools and charged at the officers.

Police say that one member feared for his life and his team members, and discharged his firearm. The team then rendered immediate trauma first aid until Glendale Fire arrived on scene for treatment.

Detectives are processing the scene and conducting the investigation.

No officers were injured.

The investigation is ongoing, and all information is preliminary and subject to change.