FIRST RESPONDERS

Glendale Fire, Southwest Gas repair damaged pipe that evacuated businesses

No injuries in Sunday night incident

Posted 10/17/22

Businesses in the area of 43rd and Olive avenues were evacuated Sunday night as the Glendale Fire Department’s hazardous materials team as well as Southwest Gas personnel worked to repair damaged gas pipes.

This story requires a subscription for $5.99/month.

Already have an account? Log in to continue.

Current print subscribers can create a free account by clicking here.

Otherwise, click here to subscribe.

To Our Valued Readers –

Visitors to our website will be limited to five stories per month unless they opt to subscribe. The five stories do not include our exclusive content written by our journalists.

For $5.99, less than 20 cents a day, digital subscribers will receive unlimited access to YourValley.net, including exclusive content from our newsroom and access to our Daily Independent e-edition.

Our commitment to balanced, fair reporting and local coverage provides insight and perspective not found anywhere else.

Your financial commitment will help to preserve the kind of honest journalism produced by our reporters and editors. We trust you agree that independent journalism is an essential component of our democracy. Please click here to subscribe.

Sincerely,
Charlene Bisson, Publisher, Independent Newsmedia

Please log in to continue

Log in
I am anchor
FIRST RESPONDERS

Glendale Fire, Southwest Gas repair damaged pipe that evacuated businesses

No injuries in Sunday night incident

Posted

Businesses in the area of 43rd and Olive avenues were evacuated Sunday night as the Glendale Fire Department’s hazardous materials team as well as Southwest Gas personnel worked to repair damaged gas pipes.

Just before 6 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a car accident involving a natural gas pipe station along the side of the road, reports say. Glendale firefighters arrived within minutes to find a car that had crashed and damaged the gas pipes.

There was audible hissing from a 4-inch gas main releasing a lot of gas, according to Glendale Fire Public Information Officer Chris James. The driver was out of the vehicle, which allowed firefighters to focus on setting up a hot zone for the gas leak.

The scene was very complex, James reports, due to the nature of natural gas migrating to the surrounding areas. Firefighters had to evacuate a number of businesses that were in operation and close down several blocks to create a hazard zone. Also, a nearby neighborhood was asked to shelter in place during the operation.

 The leak was secured in coordination with Southwest Gas and the fire department’s hazardous materials team. The area was metered in all directions to see if the gas had migrated underground, and there were zero readings.

Thankfully, James noted, the gas did not find an ignition source and cause an explosion.

One person was transported to the hospital with minor injuries, and there will be no service interruption for gas.

The Glendale Police Department will be investigating the accident. The scene was turned over to Southwest Gas to repair the gas line.

Glendale Fire Department, Southwest Gas, firefighters, Glendale, Arizona