Arizona’s individual income tax filing season for tax year 2019 has opened and the deadline to file is April 15.
The Arizona Department of Revenue encourages taxpayers to file electronically and have refunds direct deposited, according to a press release, adding that it helps reduce errors and the potential for tax fraud.
During last tax filing season, about 83 percent of the 3.4 million Arizona income tax returns were e-filed, the release said.
Taxpayers can view a list of software providers certified to submit electronically filed returns with the department and access Arizona tax forms and instructions, including instruction booklets, on the Department of Revenue’s website.
Instruction booklets are available at ADOR offices and local libraries, the release noted.
Tips for taxpayers to avoid delays:
- E-file and designate any refund for direct deposit to your bank.
- Ensure all the necessary lines and forms are filled out properly. Avoid math errors or miscalculations.
- Do not misspell names or use two different names.
- Make sure key information like your tax ID number, Social Security number, routing number or account number are correct in all the appropriate boxes.
- Double-check to ensure you have all the information and supporting documentation.
- If filing a paper return, use black ink and print on white paper.
- Do not forget to sign and date your return.
Taxpayers requiring additional assistance this tax filing season can take advantage of the following free tax filing services available:
- Free File Alliance – Offers a free file program to Arizona taxpayers who meet certain criteria. Visit https://azdor.gov/e-services/free-electronic-filing-individuals for more information on this program.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance ---VITA --- Offers free tax help to people who generally make $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their tax returns. For more information on this program, visit www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers.
- AARP Foundation Tax-Aide – Offers free assistance to individuals 50 and older who cannot afford a tax preparation service to file federal and Arizona returns. For more information on this program, go to www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide.
See: azdor.gov for more details.